Sunday, September 24, 2017

Hungarian Embroidery

            I still remember when dad returned from his short official trip to Hungary in 1983; we were so excited to have him back home after more than a month, and to see all that he had brought back for us. Of all the souvenirs and gifts he brought back I remember these two beautiful dolls packaged inside cylindrical plastic tubes, dolls dressed in white traditional Hungarian folk outfits with embroidery of bright flowers on their dress aprons. Somewhere deep within my 9 yr olds' heart and soul did I know then that in the future I would be drawn to the exquisite details of Hungarian embroidery? It's amazing how small memories from the past reach out and make connections and revive emotions in our present. 

            In my limited study of the extremely rich Hungarian embroidery culture, I have learnt that they are named after the region from where they originate. Impressively, Hungary has more than twenty different folkloric regions, each with their own motifs and style of embroidery. My following project is an attempt at Matyo embroidery, I love the dense design usually done on a black background. It is similar to Kalocsai embroidery, another popular Hungarian embroidery style, the most prominent difference between the two being that in Matyo embroidery the rose maybe red only while in Kalocsai it is more colored. Common motifs include roses with the distinctive peacock center, lilies, wheat, paprika, and etc.



               This project has been a reminder of how important it is to use the right tool for a job. We have heard the saying; “the right tool for the right job”, and “you are only as good as your tools.” Right from the beginning I struggled with the tools I used on this project. To begin with my embroidery hoop wasn’t tight enough and I was having problems keeping the fabric taut in the hoop. And any needle worker will tell you how important that step is. Next, the problems with transferring the pattern onto the black fabric, the transfer paper I was using not being very effective. I thought I was losing my sight and was trying to stitch standing by the window! I researched a little bit and found a transfer paper that claimed to not fade absolutely! I waited a week for it to be delivered but disappointingly that paper was marginally better than the previous one. Determined to make do somehow and not waste any more time, I transferred small portions of the pattern, embroidered that and then transferred another section to work on. But even on a small flower, by the time I reached the second petal the pattern was blurred and fading. Urggh. Then the problems with the needle; the right needle and definitely a right size needle are so important. I was using an embroidery needle but not the right size one. It was so difficult to stab through the heavier linen fabric and pull, the thread would snag and get knotted, it was difficult to grip that small needle, and the needle bent with all the force of my efforts. Urggh.


           Here I am peering at a blurry fading pattern, pulling the fabric every few seconds to keep it taut on the hoop, and trying to stitch a basic satin stitch with great difficulty holding onto a bent tiny needle, getting frustrated and just about ready to give up!



               It’s not that I don’t realize the significance of choosing and using the right tools. But many a time we decide to make do with what we have at that the time for whatever reason. Sometimes when I don’t have the right equipment for the job, I’ll use the things I have, and if it’s the wrong tool, my work suffers, leading to frustration or a shabby result. The right tool can be the difference between ‘I give up-I don’t want to complete it’ and a proud accomplished joyful state with a completed piece. The truth is that having a tool that is specifically designed for a specific job, can make all the difference and reflect on the quality of the finished product.


             I wasn’t able to find a solution for the pattern transfer issue but two simple change…I changed the needle and the hoop. And it was as if the clouds opened up…Ah ha!! This was how it was supposed to feel all along; efficient and smooth stitching. The immediate change in the effort required and the resulting clean needle work was so obvious. Now if only I could find a good fabric pattern transfer product.




              I completed this piece into a tablet case and I must am say I am very happy with how it all came together.  







            I love the shape of the flowers and how luxurious the richly embroidered piece looks. You have to see it in person!




3 comments: